New York experienced a bit of a storm last night. We had the rather unusual combination of snow, then rain, then snow then the addition of fog, thunder and lightning all at the same time. I got up early this morning, knowing everything and everyone would be moving slower than usual. I left for work about an hour before I had to be there, and my usual 20 minute commute took almost 45 minutes after my express train arrived 10 minutes late and didn't travel quite as "express-ly" as it usually does. My walk to Penn Station showed off the amount of snow we got last night as the sidewalks were banked with two feet of snow separating the pedestrians from the streets which were mostly cleared at that point. Just walking through Penn Station was a different experience this morning, as the usually crowded station and platforms were eerily empty, void of people running to their trains and the street above.
After finally making it to Harlem, I walked up the stairs from the subway to a seemingly different world. Unlike my trek down 34th Street, the sidewalks were not cleared except for one strip a store owner had created part way down the street. Crossing the street required people to step exactly in the footsteps of the person in front of them, trying to avoid ruining their business clothes with wet slush. Walking the short distance to my office, I finally made it inside, preparing to sign in with security as usual. Of course, after my hour-long journey 90 blocks from my apartment, security informed me that my office is closed today because of the weather. Grr. The funny thing is, I like my job so much that I was more annoyed about missing a day of work than not being informed of the office being closed.
When I finally made it back home at 11am, I found the cleaning lady changing my sheets and vacuuming the hallway. So I ran into my room, grabbed my computer and am now sitting at my favorite Starbucks (one Mom and I discovered--a seemingly normal Starbucks storefront but that has a stairway leading to a seating area the size of restaurant). I am still wearing my business clothes since I didn't have time to change back at my apartment, and am thus attracting a lot of attention from people wondering why I'm dressed so nicely to sit at Starbucks all day (the snow and slush outside are not the best conditions for exploring the city today). One man just cornered me into talking to him for 10 minutes as he tried to convince me to go Flamenco dancing with him on Saturday. Um, no. Go away, please.
Anyway, I imagine I'll be sitting in Starbucks for a good portion of the day (or until my computer battery dies, since all the outlets are being hogged right now). My boss got all of us tickets to an event tonight at the 92nd Street Y where we'll listen to George Stephanopoulos and Jonathan Powell (Tony Blair's chief of staff from 1994 to 2007) speak about power and politics. I'm really looking forward to the event and to getting to know some of my coworkers outside the office.
Much love. Peace out.
![]() |
| New York "Snow Ghosts" |
![]() |
| "Walk"? "Don't Walk"? It's hard to say... |
![]() |
| 34th Street |
![]() |
| The garbage trucks/snowplows pushing slush and water off the streets |




GREAT post Boo. So, so much fun to read. I MISS YOU.
ReplyDeleteWe're having typhoon rains over here in the Pines (Peeeeens), looks the the weather is abnormal everywhere but Santa Barbara...
I hope that you don't mind that I clicked on this from Kristin's blog and snoopily read your blog.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds so wonderfully exciting living in the city. I have very much missed hearing about your wonderful adventures over the last few years.
Here's to hoping that you don't mind if I continue to read about your lovely new experience in New York.